Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Look, Ma -- ONE hand!

I've been working at getting to spin ala Paula Simmons' "Spinning for Softness & Speed." Among other things, you use one hand (palm up, little finger and ring finger against the palm of the hand, fiber moving over the palm) to do a l-o-n-g draw.

There are times that I feel that I am absolutely in the groove, and then... Well, suffice it to say this morning I wish I'd had my camera to take a photo of the ratty mess I had last evening. The beauty of this method is (when it's mastered) you can spin without looking. At all.

Last night I was watching the news (wrong move... I'm supposed to be doing this spinning thing to be creative and to RELAX), and looked down to see about 3 yards of plyed yarn wrapped around both sides of yarn guide hooks rather than on the bobbin where it belonged. Spinning and plying are two different activities, and I had unfortunately gotten into my one-handed, no-need-to-look spinning mode... while plying. Oh, my.

Finally got the mess untangled and on the niddy noddy.

Relaxing?! Yes, this is supposed to be relaxing (and for the most part it is)!!!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Yay! Long draw is easy when you get the hang of it. And it can be much faster.
Someday, maybe I'll have time to get together with you...